Fioricet is a combination of three drugs that helps ease tension headaches (headaches that are typically due to stress and may cause tightness in muscles and discomfort around your neck and forehead).
· Butalbital is a barbiturate, which helps your brain aid in relaxation.
· Acetaminophen is a painkiller. It reduces making certain chemicals within the brain, which cause pain.
· Caffeine acts as an adenosine antagonist. It blocks a naturally occurring chemical within your body known as adenosine. It’s not known exactly the mechanism by which caffeine is used to alleviate headaches, but it’s believed to enhance the effects of acetaminophen on pain.
Pros and cons of Fioricet:
· It is available as a less expensive, generic drug
· Conveniently it’s a mixture of three different medications
· It is available in the liquid form of syrup with the flavor of the fruit.
· It can be used by people younger than 12 years old
· The drug can be habit-forming when taken for a long period of time
· A non-primary medication to consider to treat tension headaches
· Can cause liver damage
· It might be a controlled substance in some states, so there could be special requirements for getting the prescription filled.
Common side effects:
· A loss of consciousness (sedation)
· Breathing shortness
· Stomach pain
· Feeling “high” (intoxicated)
Risks and Warnings for Fioricet:
Fioricet has butalbital in it that can cause addiction. The misuse and abuse of Fioricet can result in dependence, accidental overdoses, or even death. Fioricet can trigger physical dependence when consumed for a long period of duration.
It can also trigger withdrawal symptoms like seizures, restlessness, and difficulty sleeping, and shaking.
Contact emergency medical assistance If you experience any signs of butalbital-related overdoses, such as difficulty breathing, sleepiness, and low blood pressure. You may also experience confusion and loss of awareness.
If you do not want to take Fioricet discuss it with your doctor so that they can guide you on the best way to end taking this drug in a safe manner.
Fioricet is a medication combination consisting of butalbital and acetaminophen and caffeine. It is used to treat headaches caused by tension, but it can also become habit-forming.
It may also cause headaches to worsen in the event of frequent use and is not a first-choice treatment for tension headaches.
Fioricet, Esgic, Zebutal, Vanatol LQ
Barbiturate / Analgesic / Adenosine antagonist
Controlled Substance Classifications
In some states, it is controlled.
Generics with lower cost are available
Butalbital (Generic Fioricet) 90 Pills – $200
Butalbital (Generic Fioricet) 120 Pills – $220
Butalbital (Generic Fioricet) 180 Pills – $250